Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Assistant Cannot Copy Correctly

I handed you a binder full of documents this morning and asked you to copy them.  I was really quite excited when you responded by asking where a staple remover could be found.  It showed some initiative, some foresight.  There were multiple documents in the binder that contained staples and you had noticed that.  You had deduced, or perhaps learned first hand, that documents cannot be copied with staples in them.  Not well, anyway.  I was momentarily delighted with you and your precocious nature. 

Sadly, when you returned the documents to me, I knew I had misjudged you once again.  They came back to me unstapled, out of the binder, and in slight disarray.  I looked at them, then at you in disgust.  "Thanks," I said.  I considered making you staple them again.  After all, how else will you learn that documents should be returned to their natural state after manhandling them?

But I didn't think I could handle any more disappointment.  I flipped my tie over my shoulder and started to staple.

I had it done perfectly in fifteen minutes.

0 comments: